The Program Manager for the Information Sharing Environment (PM-ISE) uses the ISE Performance Framework to:
- manage the progress of the ISE's information sharing efforts
- track sharing and safeguarding of critical information
- determine the ISE's impact on homeland security
The ISE Performance Framework
The ISE Performance Framework outlines the necessary steps to establishing a successful ISE at your organization:
- Identify initiatives to achieve strategic ISE goals or provide necessary information sharing capabilities.
- Identify gaps in these initiatives.
- Fill the gaps and implement ISE best practices.
- Develop measures to track information sharing progress and its impacts.
- Implement a roadmap with milestones to track progress and impact.
The ISE Performance Framework is composed of four stages that illustrate how the overall information sharing and safeguarding strategy is implemented through specific target capabilities:
- Strategic: The strategic goals outline the steps agencies and mission partners must take for a successful ISE.
- Initiative: Successful organizational change or business transformation in information sharing and safeguarding requires an integrated approach to the ISE community, processes, and technology. This section outlines the specific programs or initiatives that are aligned to these three investment categories:
- Community: engagement with state, local, federal, tribal and international partners
- Process: common methodologies and practices that enable joint operational accomplishments
- Technology: technical solutions that automate shared agreements and make solutions interoperable between ISE partners
- Roadmap: Outlines the schedule and milestones for priority initiatives.
- Measure: Details the impacts of improved information sharing capabilities.
Each of the strategic goals is illustrated by performance scenarios that represent an improved information sharing and safeguarding capability. The explanatory performance scenarios are used to take a more abstract strategic capability (e.g. get the right information to the right people at the right time) and apply it to a realistic situation where, as a result of working towards responsible information sharing, ISE partners can see an improvement in their ability to accomplish their mission. The Office of the PM-ISE developed a Performance Scenario Guide to help mission partner agencies and departments better plan and execute information sharing initiatives.
The performance case scenarios also serve as a foundation for performance metrics that define the success of the ISE mission in each of the three investment categories (community, process, and technology). A performance metric is a measurable data element that allows an agency to determine how well a process is performing relative to the goal. Even though a majority of performance scenario metrics are mission or agency specific, they map to one or more national ISE strategic goals.